Search

The Skincare Myths we need to stop believing!


We've all heard them - the old wives tales, the 'this product is the best' which is usually pushed upon you by an "influencer" or your favourite celeb! One of the pitfalls of the internet age is that it's much easier for falsehoods to be immortalized and perpetuated as truths, and the beauty industry is definitely not immune. There is so much conflicting advice and information out there now that its easy to get sucked into believing these common skincare myths. Read on and find out about the top 5 myths I hear all too often.

Myth 1: You only need to wear SPF when its sunny!

You have no idea how often i hear this one! One of the very first things i always ask my clients is; Do you wear an SPF? and the answer is always either "Yes, when i am on holiday" or "No, its not sunny outside"!

I mean sure - we live in the UK and unfortunately for us, warm, sunny days are a rarity and so for many, this leads to the false assumption that sunscreen is not needed. If you can’t see the sun with your eyes, it must not be there, right? Wrong. The sun never takes a break, and neither should your protection against it. Whether the forecast predicts rain, snow, or sleet, it’s important to protect your skin with broad-spectrum SPF 15 or higher. This should happen prior to any time spent outdoors, whether you’re on the slopes or driving in a car briefly. As a reminder, UV rays can penetrate through windows and cloud cover, and can even reflect off snow. Instead of looking for reasons why you don’t have to apply sunscreen, take the extra minute to do your due diligence. You may not see any signs of skin aging right now, or it may not even be on your mind, but the damage will catch up to you - trust me! Oh, and while were at it.......

Myth 2: You don’t need sunscreen if you’re wearing makeup that has SPF!

Although wearing makeup with SPF can be helpful, it should be a single layer in your multi-pronged sun protection strategy — not your face's only line of defence against the sun's harmful rays.

While studies show that the sun helps your skin produce vitamin D, you still need to wear a good sunscreen that protects against both UVA and UVB rays. These sunscreens are sometimes labeled "multi-spectrum" or "broad spectrum," as well.

MYTH 3: Natural Ingredients are better for your skin and you should only use 'chemical-free' products!

This one is one of my BIGGEST pet hates! I get it. You don’t want harsh chemicals in your skincare. There are brands that throw around the word 'chemical' far too freely (i wont name names, but i know a few of you may have heard of them - some of you may even promote them!) They throw around words like parabens. Silicones. Propylene glycol and make you think they are these terrible things that are bad for you! IT'S A LIE - They’re all totally safe – science says so. (Also as a side note - 9 times out of 10 these brands all have chemicals in them - you know, to keep them safe to use on your skin, and to stop bacteria growing and to keep their shelf life!) This myth is more tied to the emotional pull natural ingredients have for so many people, because in truth, there’s no factual basis or scientific legitimacy proving natural or organic ingredients are better for skin. And as we all know, there are poisonous plants or plants you can be terribly allergic to so natural ingredients being automatically better isn’t factual in the least. I could go on, but i wont! *aaaaannddd breathe!

MYTH 4: I know I'm going to get wrinkles early—it's genetic

Scientists have actually learned exactly how genetics play a role in skin ageing by studying identical twins (who, in theory, would age the same way) ultimately, lifestyle choices (like sun exposure, smoking, and other factors) play far more of a role in the way your skin ages than your DNA. Good genes definitely play a role in certain characteristics your skin inherits (oiliness, skin colour, thickness etc), but surprisingly, only 30% of ageing is genetics. The other 70% is up to you. To slow the clock, invest some cash in great skincare and some time in self-care.

MYTH 5: Coconut Oil & Olive Oil is a great natural moisturiser.

We've all heard it - But the truth of it is, coconut & olive oil is a comedogenic, which means it can cause clogged pores, pimples, milia, blackheads, or whiteheads. It’s also not the intensive moisturizer some people claim. If you need a lot of hydration, these oils simply won’t cut it as it is not a good humectant.

I hope this blog helped debunk some of the common skin care myths you may have heard - f you know of any other skin care myths, please share them in the comments below!

#skincare #skin #acne #myths #spf #suncream #facial #facialist #oilyskin #pigmentation #pores #acnescarring #naturalskincare

0 views
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon